Water Dropper / Miniature Vase (?)

Started by TKNZ, Jul 20, 2019, 19:25:58

Previous topic - Next topic

TKNZ

Hi all,

I recently got in a big lot of ceramics from Japan and this was in the mix. I'm unsure whether it would be Korean or Chinese, but the base seemed reminiscent of some later Qing porcelains and the grape decoration looked more Chinese than Korean to me.
I think it may be a water dropper as the whole thing comes in at 7cm tall (including the base), but it's not a form I've encountered before so as far as I know it may be some type of odd miniature vase. I am inclined to believe it is a water dropper, though, as much of the discolouration looks to have come from exposure to ink.

The gilt decoration is heavily raised and has worn off in some places, and three shades of blue and green enamel have been used to decorate the grapes and their leaves, which are outlined and detailed in black. The body is a bone-white porcelain with a crazed ashy-olive glaze, and there has been a repair to the foot made in some sort of silver material. The base is the same bone-white porcelain, glazed in a highly vitrified and crazed deep blue.

The quality of the decoration seems very high to me, and the shaping of the porcelain is very fine also. I don't think this is a modern fake of any item, but I am as of yet unenlightened as to what period (or even region) to look to for comparable pieces. I'd appreciate any opinions on period, style, and authenticity.

Here's a link to the full resolution photos (the ones in this post are VERY compressed): https://imgur.com/a/JErhZXF

Thanks,
Thomas.

peterp

That is Japanese.  Korean has no such colorful decorations and Korean antiques use no gilt.
Someone else may know what it is.