green dragon bowl

Started by heavenguy, Apr 10, 2019, 08:12:48

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

hello, I have a doubt with this bowl. Decoration looks 20th century probably republic. Porcelain body feels like those of the late 19th century. Someone even mention to me that it maybe Jiaqing. Any ideas on this one. Thank you in advance.

heavenguy

I know the THE peach mark was common in the 19th century but some in the republic were also made.

peterp

Qing dynasty. Rather later than Jiaqing, but not 100% sure. The dragon's tail tip might confirm this, among other. The head and shape of claws also point to a later time.

heavenguy

I guess a safe way to describe this will be mid 19th century. I was having high doubts because of the gilt on the rim and on the dragon's orb. But I guess they use them on  the 19th century as well. thank you for your valuable info.

heavenguy

Hi Peterp,

I have a question that I didn't notice before on the dragon. The dragon is always after the pearl but on this one, the pearl is on its claw. I don't get it.  I never seen this on a piece of porcelain. I wonder if this is something that will make this piece a fake. thank you in advance.

peterp

I do not think so. This is just another configuration of the dragon. When chasing the pearl you more often than not have two dragons facing the pearl but there are other configurations too.  Rather than a fake I would consider the possibility of this being late in the Qing dynasty when the use of five claws by private kilns became possible. This is unlikely  official kiln ware..

heavenguy

Thank you Peter, that makes sense. I didn't knew there were different setup of the dragons, especially were private kilns were drawing dragons. again thank you for your time.

peterp

I forgot to mention, this is probably not export porcelain.

heavenguy

That is one of the things that confuses me the most.

If it wasn't made for the imperial house, or if it wasn't made for export, but also it doesn't look like people's ware either (I'm not saying it has great quality either but...) Who was it made for? For what market it was made?

I found a kind of similar piece on the book cover "The Art of Chinese Porcelain from the Ming and Qing Dynasties". I'm going back to my university to see if I can find a copy of the book. Although, if I ever found it, it is writing in Chinese so I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Let's see what else I can find.

peterp

What you think is too complicated. There is only domestic use and export porcelain. The essential difference is the decoration. Some porcelain made for domestic use was also exported. Quality-wise export is often between the lower quality domestic and the official kiln porcelain. But we need to be aware that some porcelain for domestic use had a similar quality as imperial porcelain. In fact, some porcelain made in the late Qing dynasty for the court was made at private kilns. But you can find the whole range of quality in domestic porcelain from the lowest to highest quality in domestic porcelain. The common people might not have been able to pay the price of items of higher quality.
The main difference between export and domestic use porcelain was the type of decoration, not necessarily the quality.

heavenguy

Thank you Peterp. That puts things in perspective. I understand a little bit more on the subject. Kudos!!