Big Jar?

Started by Kenny Kumala, Oct 02, 2018, 16:37:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Kumala

Hi Peter,
What do you think about this ceramic, I 've 6 of them, in diffrent size, but I can't found this in lot of antique web, or these are possible an old local kiln product? because our old local kiln exist about 1760? (the Chinese gold mining migrant came about 1750 to west Borneo)
Kenny

peterp

I do not know this type. Could be from China or elsewhere. Some southern Chinese kilns made wares that are different from the other Chinese wares. West Borneo was on one of the two main trade routes. One was going down along the coast of today's Vietnam, the other along the Philippines and Borneo to Java, etc.
But it hasn't to be from China. Martaban jars are also found in Borneo, as you probably know, and they were exported from Burma. As Martaban jars were both made in Southern China and Burma itself, it might be difficult to know which it is. But Thailand and Vietnam did also export quantities at time.
I would suggest you do an image search for Martaban jars first and see if you can find something similar.

Kenny Kumala

Hi Peter,

I found this object, it is: Song-Yuan Dynasty, c. 1300, water pouring jar (Kendi) with four loops, finger ring and spout. Brown glaze with ochre touches. 2 loop nicks and glaze faults.

Regards,
Kenny