Chinese vase?

Started by melisa, May 28, 2014, 18:24:39

Previous topic - Next topic

melisa

Hi, I wonder about the attached vase, supposedly chinese and supposedly antique. I am curious about its shape as I don't think I have see this exact shape before. Looks more like Delfts blue shape. It does have some mark at the bottom but that does not have to say anything I understand, and certainly not to me.  Claims to be from 1800's.
Perhaps someone can give some insight?  Much appreciated,

Stan

Hi Melisa, this is Japanese, I can't read the mark but by the looks of it, I would say 1930s or later, looks like it could be Matsubara but not sure.

melisa

Hi Stan, thanks for your message.  I am looking for a chinese vase and am, truth be said, not a connoisseur.  This is ok I suppose but am a bit disappointed as I was hoping it were chinese.
Would you say it is worth 60 Euros?

Stan

Hi Melisa, is that what you paid? we do not discuss value on this site, but we can give you good info, so you can do your own home work, unfortunately Japanese porcelain dose not demand the high collectors value that the Chinese antique porcelain dose and so your lidded jar would have a low collectors value, Thanks for posting; Stan.

Stan

Hi Melisa, when looking for Chinese Antique Porcelain keep in mind that 99% of what you see is fake, or new, make sure you buy from a reputable dealer that guarantees that your purchase is authentic, as a new collector you should study this site it is very informative on spotting fakes and what to look for, but this only comes from experience, so be ware; Stan.

melisa

Thanks Stan for the advice.  Yes, I am just starting and am doing reading up on this website. A lot to take in.  Apologies I did not read the forum rules and did not know about not discussing pricing. But indeed is what I paid, it was from a relative of a colleague, probably also does not know truly about chinese antique. Anyway, it looks ok at least..

Stan

Your right melisa, there is a lot to learn, I am learning every day my self, I would like to ask you about the blue color on  your lidded jar, is that the right shade of blue or is it your camera, put your jar up to the picture and see.

melisa

Hi Stan, to me (untrained eye) it looks like the same colour. of course there is a little glare, but that is because I still have an old iPhone (jurassic probably as far as Apple is concerned).
I am not sure how to describe the blue either.. it is like under the glaze and somehow I perceive it as milky and watery, at least that is what it brings to mind.  Monday I will ask a Japanese colleague of mine to see what she can say about the marks.  Thanks again..