Ming Red Monochrome?

Started by T. Chan, May 13, 2014, 01:35:58

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Chan

Dear Peter and All,
I have several monochromes, suspected if not Ming, Qing, probably new for the other colors. Here I post a red monochrome jar with cover, could anyone help me identify the period?
Thank you.

Regards,
T. Chan

peterp

I would have thought late Qing dynasty, if it were not for three problems.
- The shape (shoulders usually not this way), but may be an exception
- Iron wash of mouth and bottom
- Bottom seems to be covered with transparent glaze. Items with an iron wash do not have a glaze on top of that.

T. Chan

Peter, thanks for your eagle eyes!
Next time I will not buy something like this.
After you point out, then I noticed it and I looked once again. The glaze at the bottom differ from the rest. Even differ from the glaze inside(thickness). The bottom glaze is very thin and very low fired I think? Or maybe hard glue? And the iron wash color differ too. Very fishy. I don't know why they do this cause as you have said, an iron wash do not have a glaze on top. Does late Qing red monochrome has iron wash originally?
Was it because of repaired? Because I saw circle crack inside at base.
Thank you.

Stan

This new picture you posted looks like the bottom has been added, you probably are seeing a glue, fakes are done this way to fool the TL tests Ibelieve.

Stan

I guess I should explain my self a little better, an old bottom placed in a new vase to give the appearance of age.

T. Chan

Dear Stan,
Yes I have heard about old bottom new body, but this one I think the bottom has been repaired. This is just late Qing and doesnt worth much although fresh, without alteration. From what I know, the old bottom new body is usually for Rare pieces and a TL test which cost US$600 absolutely needed.
Thanks.

Stan

T Chan, no disrespect intended, it is just that the bottom looks like it has been replaced, if that is the case then your vase would be judged as far as age goes, from the time it was replaced would be considered the age.

T. Chan

Yes Stan, maybe you are right. Anyway, this kind of jar we have to avoid it although has some age on it. Peter, his eyes really something. Again, thanks.

Stan

Most everything I learned is from Peter, this is a great site to learn.

T. Chan

Yeah I know. He tell us what is wrong and not just saying it is wrong. And that a leap difference! I like this forum better.