Song chicken ewer?

Started by T. Chan, May 12, 2014, 01:52:43

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Chan

Dear Peter and All,
Glad to be in this forum!
I have started collecting for 7 years without guidance and have about 100pcs rather up scale ceramics mostly Song to Ming. I have only about 40% knowledge(from auction books) and 60% intuition, but now I am wondering, what did I do? Because recently, several of my friends say, only less than 20 might be ok(and still not sure about the ok thing!):-)
So here is the first post, could be Northern Song, Ding(?) chicken ewer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Taufan

peterp

Welcome to the forum.
Personally, I know more about late Ming, Qing, early republic. With Yuan/Song ceramics I may know only some details about certain styles or kilns. So, we may be on a similar level for discussing these items.  :-)

I cannot tell if your chicken ewer is authentic, but I have two pieces of information that might be of interest. If the spout is approximately the same thickness at the lowest point, where it is attached, and at its mouth, then an item is older. Not sure though, if yours would fall under the former or latter. There is difference, but not much. The later one is called "???", meaning that it resembles the leg shape of a woman. It has a wider diameter where it is attached than at its mouth.

Not sure why you think it is Ding, but then again, I do not know that much about Ding. Ding is known for white, black and green. As far as I know the green glaze resembles less celadon than an actual green glaze.
Yours seems to be celadon of a color that I would more likely associate with the Ming period.
Did Ding kiln also make vases? I think it is best known for bowls, etc., that is also what I know more of. If it were a bowl, the bottom color and density would probably not right for Ding.

So again, not sure if this is authentic, but im my view not Ding. Let's see if someone here knows more about these.

T. Chan

Thanks Peter for prompt answer,

I have just knocking with my finger, I think this ewer has same thickness all the way not only to the lowest point where it attached(which I think is a little thiner at the lowest point) but until the base itself (exclude base rims). And i have just weight it using scale, only 1170gr.
I am a novice and you have to teach me more lesson if you may, about everything but mostly regarding base cos I couldnt get any reference from auction books :-). I know its just a slight different between Ding, Qingbai and Yaozhou celadon. The color we see here is 90% true color because I have adjusted my camera white balance. The color looks more grayish with slight blue indeed and no craze.
I have a pic from Sothebys gotten from the internet, something similar like this but with slight difference and I will post it here. Thank you. 

T. Chan

Dear Peter,
I just make my own search and 5 minutes ago, found this. This ewer was supposed to be the Cirebon wreck dating to very early Song and it is Ding alright. Ah, what a relieve. Thank you.

peterp

Yes,this ewer looks indeed genuine. Different glaze and different clay/paste from yours. And a white bottom, I'm sure. You will also note that the glaze does not go down to the foot rim.