Question about gilding

Started by wk, Oct 23, 2016, 20:45:20

Previous topic - Next topic

wk

Before I buy a pair of vases I have a question. They are large canton vases, but one has almost all the gold missing from the foo dogs and lizards, the other one doesn't. I assume people rubbed this for good luck, or perhaps they weren't a pair originally. Is it possible they painted over it? Can I see this somehow?
Thank you

heavenguy

For Canton famille rose, I have always seen them with handles painted in gold color. It is probably that it has to much wear from handling or bad cleaning, or using chemical products, or who knows. If they are from different kiln or line of production, they should vary in size, color, or any other indication that will tell you so. If they look the same, then it's probably one of the reasons I mention first.

peterp

Gilding requires one additional firing, no matter if the rest is underglaze blue, fencai enamels or other.
The firing is made with a much lower temperature. Gilding is gradually lost when handling items. Rubbing is only one reason, just handling/touching might also cause this, over a long time. Gilded item should show some loss if very old. No loss means it was likely not used.
Overpainted? Better post pictures to make sure that you do not have something later made.