Large Satsuma vase

Started by Stan, Oct 19, 2015, 14:15:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is another vase for my collection, this is a Satsuma vase, the white is really an ivory color but the photos make it look whiter than it is, the vase stands 46.9 cm high, the colors are translucent and it was made in 3 sections, the inside looks very old, I have never seen Satsuma like this before, I think the decoration is sunflowers and tobacco leaves, it is all hand painted, the gold has rubbed off on top but there is still remnants left on the upper and lower parts of the vase, please let me know what you think of age, I will post 10 photo's to view, thanks.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are the last set of photo's to view, thanks.

peterp

Stan, you know more about Japanese porcelain than me. One question, why do you think it is Satsuma? Is it the dots and lines that are protruding from the surface? If it is that alone, this could be not enough reason. Modern Chinese copies do imitate this too.
Judging by shape and decoration this looks more like a modern product.

Stan

Hi Peter, I came to this conclusion from the ivory white crackle glaze this is in all my Satsuma pieces, the entire inside and the bottom have this feature also when you click it with your finger it has that dull sound that you have with satsuma, I am guessing that this is mid 19th century, but I am still looking for confirmation, maybe someone else like Mat might have an idea of period. I have a big collection of Satsuma and I recognized it right off as being so, but I have never seen one like this, there is no question in my mind about it not being Satsuma.

Mat

Hi Stan, I would think this is what is called Kyoto-Satsuma, from somewhere in the first thirty years of the 20th century. The decoration does not look at all like early Satsuma to me, and in Kyoto they did some "unconventional" decorations at the period I mentioned... Did you see some comparable pieces that make you think this is mid 19th century?
Mat

Stan

Hi Mat, thanks for replying, I have several Satsuma vases, and one from the late Edo period, the inside of this is the same as the one I have that I know to be of that period, the later ones are easy to tell from the inside where the finish is more even and little or no glaze retraction and the joinery of the sections seem to be much older than late Meiji or Taisho/ Showa periods, however, it does seem to have an art deco look that could be from the 30's, I was hoping that the decoration would be able to date it but I have not found anything like if my self thanks for your replies, Peter and Mat.

Stan

Update, I had a dealer that deals in Japanese Antique ceramics, he said it is from the Art Nouveau period 1890 - 1910 , the shape and the decoration points to that period, he said Art Nouveau was known for its flower and plant decoration and stylish formed curved shapes. Not as old as I thought. but he went on to say that art nouveau is very rare.

Mat

Interesting, thank you for the update!