Chinese antique blue and white vase.

Started by Stan, Apr 05, 2014, 01:04:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I need your expertise on this vase, I am sending about 18 photos, so you can get a good view of this vase, it is 43.18 cm, tall and 16.51 cm wide, there is a decorated band at the top of the baluster and another decorated band under the glaze, similar to celadon decorations under glaze, there is a seam that is 2/3 up from the bottom up and another seam that close to the top, it was made in 3 sections, the bottom of the foot has clatter marks from the turning, and there are all the old age signs small pitting, and small rust spots, the inside has been smoothed out almost to the point that you can not see the seams, this is a heavy potted vase and has a nice feel to it, the color is a beautiful cobalt blue and has 5 shades of blues, there is also a slight blue hue to the vase, please let me know what you think, thanks from Stan.

Stan

More photos.

Stan

Here are the last of the Photos, thanks for your time and expert advice.

peterp

Stan, I have doubts about this for several reasons.
First, this is a non-traditional shape. It looks like the mouth, etc. was made after a shape we call Guanyin vase, but below the neck Guanyin vases have a different shape.
I'm not sure if I ever saw sheep on a traditional decoration. Goats yes, but sheep...not sure if such decorations exist. At the very least they are not common.

The bottom is also looking as if it was "treated". The heavy scratches couldn't possibly be added during normal handling. Especially the long ones look as if they were made on purpose, and there are just too many indents.
The slightly orange bottom color is also suspicious, in my view. If natural, this color would develop due to iron content. But, why should it be white or abraded along the protruding edges? Either the iron oxide is in the clay, or it comes from a wash. With the latter I would expect it to be a different hue.
My personal view. I would recommend to get a second opinion.

Stan

Hi Peter, the sheep look like bulls to me, the one has horns and looks stout like a bull, I know what you mean about the shape, it is unusual and I thought the same thing with the bottom and the orange color, I took it to be appraised by a Bonhams appraiser to day and she had some concerns with some of the decorations, she took pictures and said she will get back with me, and she said that if it is authentic it would be a transitional piece and that she will compare the decoration with other transitional vase, if it is authentic it will be priced at $6000. to $9000. she also said that there are a lot of good fakes in the market, if this dose turn out to be a fake she said it would be $800. to $900. because of the quality, I paid $110. at a local auction either way I did good but I would have rather it be an antique, this vase dose have age signs if it is a fake is one one of the best fakes i have seen.

Stan

Your right Peter the other one looks like a sheep, I will let you know what they say at Bonhams but I think you already know, there are to many questions to be transitional, the shape, decoration, thank you for your expert opinion,