late Edo period Satsuma? name?

Started by heavenguy, Mar 12, 2016, 04:39:24

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello,

I found this ware online. They say its Meiji but in my opinion it probably is late Edo, 60-68. I read in a book and online that the colors were a little pastelish and in this color palette. Also that the top rim and lit were unglazed. This none is unglazed on the top and inner rim. ]

Also anyone know about the signature?

I know it goes something like this: " X X n Zan zo" Can't understand the first two symbols. So if anyone can help me with the name it will be great.

Thank you so much in advance.

heavenguy

heavenguy

Stan

Kinkozan produced a lot of wares in Awata, in the Meiji period, I would think this would be early Meiji by the colors and the decoration.

Stan

I forgot to Mention that Kinkozan is very collectable.

heavenguy

Thank you for the information Stan. This is the third Kinkozan I bought this month.

Stan

Did they come from someones collection or did you find them at different places, just the same good find.

heavenguy

Hey Stan, They are from different places. I bought this on eBay. It was 22 bucks (with shipping). Also check shopgoodwill from time to time, sometimes they have really good finds for really cheap. and the rest I guess I'm just lucky that I live in the southwest area and that most people are interested in native american or european porcelain that they won't put much attention to oriental. I think Satsuma ware is losing value very quickly this years so its good for purchasing for my collection. A lot of people in the UK are selling online a lot of Satsumas lately, so I guess is not much appreciate it this days.

peterp

It is not only Satsuma, now everywhere more Japanese antiques are getting more available, even sellers who did not carry them have them now. The reason is likely one of the following. The Chinese prohibition on the export of antiques is now finally affecting international markets, after years of enforcing it. Many dealers switch to more Japanese because they cannot get Chinese easily anymore. But here in Taiwan we now even see lots of antique Japanese furniture being sold. Some people are apprehensive about this increase of Japanese antiques, because they fear they could come from the Fukushima nuclear disaster zone.

heavenguy

Do you think that one day they will lift the export prohibition in China. Also, how do they do it since eBay is packed with Chinese fakes that resemble original pieces. Do they check every piece that goes out?

Stan

I was just talking to a friend of mine that owns an Asian Antique store,he goes to China from time to time, he said they do check every item and he also said that rarely will they make an exception.
I was talking to a Chinese man that said a friend of his tried to bring Antique ivory into China and was caught and is in prison now, he did not say for how long, but here in the States, most states will not allow you to sell ivory period, an antique dealer I was talking to said that a friend of his was caught selling ivory in the state of washington and they confiscated all his antique ivory, a huge truck full, some dating back hundreds of years all Chinese ivory and it was destroyed, burnt up, China is very serious about their antiquities. and most U.S about sell ivory of any kind.

peterp

I do not know how they check it. Probably not so easy when sending by mail or courier, but with other shippings they do indeed check what goes out. Perhaps not every batch, though. They do check what visitors carry when they leave the country, and they do inspect containers, etc. I know this from people who used to buy in China and bring it back here, either as luggage or by sending it by ship. Most do not dare to do so anymore. Even in the antique shops in Taiwan everything that was originally antique Chinese has now changed to 20th century made antique style items or Japanese. The import of antiques from China has simply stopped or slowed to a trickle. Now they sell them back to China where there is a huge demand.
I heard of someone opening a shop with Taiwanese antique and vintage furniture. The shortly afterwards closed down, everything sold out in a short time and not enough supply.

heavenguy

Seems that the world is running out of real Chinese antiques. That explains the Japanese demand. Thank you guys that makes sense. Still my dream is too one day find that old imperial Chicken bowl in an old pile of stuff. once again thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.