Are these export plates or were they used domestically?

Started by Hmm, Feb 01, 2016, 10:09:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Hmm

It looks like one of the smaller plates #3 may have been stenciled over with an "X" mark on it, perhaps to show ownership which I thought was a Chinese custom? 

Also the larger plate #1 is that a common pattern? 

Lastly plates like these were likely either late Qing or Republic right?

Thanks.

imgur.com/a/ykgWP

Stan

These look my like Japanese than Chinese to me, not traditional Chinese, maybe first half of the 20 century.

peterp

I do not know whether that decoration exists in Japanese porcelain or not, as Stan suspects, but the decoration can be found on early republic wares (the smaller ones). These usually give the impression as if they could have been painted (over-painted) later, because of the thick enamel.

Not sure about the larger one. If Chinese then it would have to be quite later. Liling kiln appears to have made some 20th century decorations with such colors, but this type of handwritten mark is more often than not found on Japanese porcelain.

And no, not export porcelain, probably. Export items are usually of better quality.

Hmm

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. 

Regarding the larger plate the seller, who appears to get his items appraised by one of the moderators on Asian Arts Forum stated that the plate was considered a "peasant" plate from the early Republic.  I found it interesting looking because I don't think I've seen a pattern like it before, but thought perhaps more experienced people have seen something like it before.  Are the colors at least accurate?  I want to have a collection of stuff that I can use somewhat as a reference point.   

Regarding export quality, is export quality then in between min yao and guanyao? 

Thanks. 

peterp

>> is export quality then in between min yao and guanyao

Yes, that is what I am telling people. But it is a generalization.
It should be understood that some kilns made minyao porcelain equal in quality to guanyao. Do a search in the main site for "imperial quality", you will find a page with information on this.
But there are differences of quality within export porcelain too, of course. And late 19th century export was different from the 17th and 18th century export.
We should always be conscious that much of the export porcelain shipped to Europe was affordable only by the affluent upper classes, patricians, aristocracy, etc., not tthe common people. The average Chinese could also not buy items of that quality level, because it was the same with domestic porcelain.