Hu vase with deer

Started by Stan, Dec 18, 2015, 10:39:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is a nicely detailed hu vase, all hand painted and drawn, the height is 34.29 cm and is heavily potted, it has a red Qianlong mark on the bottom and it has unusual ears or handles, I have seen handles like this in the late Qing dynasty, I think this could be Guangxu period or early republic, your expert opinion is appreciated, thanks.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here is the last set of photo's to view, thanks again.

Stan

Hi Peter, I was reading another post that I posted awhile back, sorry what you say goes in one ear and out the other, I stand corrected, this would be called a Zun with handles, and a hundred deer.

peterp

Stan, does the glaze within the foot rim show a wave or orange peel surface?

Stan

No Peter, the outside of the foot rim, just above the foot, the glaze is smooth, not textured at all, and the decoration, the band of flowers are slightly raised.

peterp

The white cloud and white deer decoration, as well as the water seems to be not very common with this sort of vase.
I guess the mark is rather later than Qianlong, perhaps 19th century?

Stan

One thing I noticed from Zun like porcelain at the high auctions is that the spots on the deers on older zun like pieces is that they have more spots, I saw a couple of early republic ones that have the spots on the deer are fewer, so I think this could be late Qing but more than likely early republic, not to mention that all the Zun's were taller and non of them have this decoration with the bats, but I have seen this decoration before on early republic.