Celadon censor

Started by Stan, Mar 14, 2014, 08:39:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I have a censor, that I bought at an antique store, I think that it is Chinese, but I am not sure the antique store deals mostly in Japanese antiques, but every now and then they surprise me with very nice Chinese antique porcelain, this censor is 8.128 cm high and the width is 11.176 cm I am not sure of the age, could you tell me how old and if you know anything about it, any help would be appreciated, thanks from stan.

Stan

Here are some more photo's.

Stan

Here are the last photo's to review, thanks again Peter.

peterp

Looks old to me, but how old is difficult to tell. Such a thick glaze would have been more common in pre-Ming times, the cord shape is almost invisible because of that.
Basically, a flat unglazed bottom like this could be expected in Ming dynasty items, but only in larger ones. Smaller ones had usually a glazed bottom.
I would therefore think a careful estimate of age would be Qing dynasty, although it is not typical for that either.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I thought that it was old, but I am not that familiar with celadon porcelain, although I have bought enough fakes thinking they were old, I could tell by the cracking in the glaze and the hands on feel that it was older piece, but just how old seems to remain a mystery.