Yongzhen Yuzhi Modern Reproduction Chinese Vase with Diverse Styles.

Started by lauren, Aug 04, 2015, 15:10:27

Previous topic - Next topic

lauren

I was watching this vase at auction a few weeks ago at a live auction house and was intrigued by the fine details.  As a layman, it appeared as though the entire vase was painted by hand.  I noticed none of the gilt application or scrolling foliage was identical.  Each leaf had individual characteristics like a snowflake.  Could anyone explain if a modern vase of this nature was hand painted or how it was made?  If this vase was created with any mechanical means or with stencils molds, etc. I would greatly appreciate what fine details to look for that help give it away as a reproduction.  Are printers or laser technology utilized for a vase like this?
Regards,
Lauren 

peterp

First, despite the Yongzheng mark this can not be of the period. There never was such a bright blue bottom. And yes, even now many items are hand-painted. Sometimes more recently made items are of top quality, comparable to imperial items of old, like this one.

lauren

Peter,
Do you think they are using airbrush with some kind of mechanical spray pattern?  I did not have a chance to look at it under a loupe, but the color looks very even in the family scene painting although there are definite unique volume shades and minute size differences to the scrolling.  Nevertheless, couldn't that be programmed into a computer controlled spray pattern device?  I have been watching these vases at auction lately, they have been recognizing auction records of between $500-$2,000 USD so retail pricing must be higher.  I guess that is strictly for decorative value?  If there is a mechanical means of making these I would think they are not very collectible but if this vase is 100% by hand and a unique painting, I would think there are not many artisans around capable of this kind of quality and I would probably decide to target them at auction if the price points were low and attractive.  On the other hand, if they are about to flood the market due to a new quantum leap in mechanical production, I would avoid them completely.  Just some thoughts. 
Regards,
Lauren

lauren

PS...Sorry I misspelled Yongzheng.  If you can edit my posts that might help the search engines find this intel if some soul in need is out there reaching out for help someday.

lauren

Peter,
Do you think they are using airbrush with some kind of mechanical spray pattern?  I did not have a chance to look at it under a loupe, but the color looks very even in the family scene painting although there are definite unique volume shades and minute size differences to the scrolling.  Nevertheless, couldn't that be programmed into a computer controlled spray pattern device?  I have been watching these vases at auction lately, they have been recognizing auction records of between $500-$2,000 USD so retail pricing must be higher.  I guess that is strictly for decorative value?  If there is a mechanical means of making these I would think they are not very collectible but if this vase is 100% by hand and a unique painting, I would think there are not many artisans around capable of this kind of quality and I would probably decide to target them at auction if the price points were low and attractive.  On the other hand, if they are about to flood the market due to a new quantum leap in mechanical production, I would avoid them completely.  Just some thoughts.
Regards,
Lauren

peterp

Without magnification it is hard to tell more, however, with imperial wares this type of quality was normal, even in the old times. Often it is difficult to recognize the brush strokes without magnifier. Some strokes are so fine that you cannot see them with the bare eye. At times they appear to have used magnifiers when painting. While this is not imperial ware, I can see no reason why this should be printed.