Help With Age Of Marked Green Celadon Vase

Started by kardinalisimo, Mar 03, 2014, 11:07:45

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Any help with the age? Is this some kind of spurious mark?
thanks

peterp

This is the same mark content as in an earlier post "Longquan Zhongguo" (Longquan, China). A more recent product. The original Longquan kilns stopped working more than 400 years ago. I heard that they now are producing porcelain again, but of course, this is recent porcelain with more recent production methods.

kardinalisimo

Thanks.
I wonder how did those people come up with 19th century?
http://www.eliteauction.com/catalogues/062412/view.php?id=698

peterp

Ask them, but I think that not being able to read Chinese, and lack of peripheral knowledge related to China and Chinese porcelain has much to do with it.
First of all, as far as I know in porcelain marks the term "??" or "zhongguo" (modern short name for China) did not appear before communist China.
In imperial times there was no notion of the country name of "China" in existence, except among foreigners. Feudal China was the Ming Empire or Qing Empire, owned or ruled by the emperor.

From 1912 the republic was probably the first to have that in its name "????", the first and last characters contracted are resulting in "zhongguo", above.

The question is, if no notion of "zhongguo" did exist, how comes its name could be used in a mark?

Always be careful with second tier or lesser auction houses. They may not have the expertise or access to experts ... it is easy to get fakes modern items or fakes that way.

peterp

By the way, the fact that the mark is written from left to right, is also not in line with tradition.