24" Meiji Era Japanese Satsuma Baluster Vase w/ Chrysanthemums

Started by LGreen, Feb 13, 2015, 04:47:55

Previous topic - Next topic

LGreen

I was able to find a cloisonne example of a very similar design that was identified as Meiji era Satsuma. I would love to be able to confirm the age and identity of this Baluster Vase, and if anyone can identify the signature. The subject matter is chrysanthemums.  There is gold highlighting on areas, that seem worn with age (especially on the sides).  The primary color of the body is between brick and blood red.  Thank you!

Mat

Hi, I think you are right, it looks like late Meiji or a bit later ( early 20th c ) Kyoto satsuma. The gilt mouth of the vase looks a strange to me, are there any signs that it could be a later repair?
Mat

Stan

I agree with Mat, the top looks like a later made item and the mark might be a number rather than a makers mark.

LGreen

Yes, upon closer inspection of the mouth, it looks like a probable repair.  I do know this piece was purchased in Asia (presumably Japan) by a missionary couple some years ago. Still looking to confirm either number or signature.  Thanks!

Mat

The "mark" says "right 2". Likely it is the right one of a pair. Such numbers and right & left appear often on this kind of vases.
Mat

LGreen