Chinese tile and frame

Started by Patty, Mar 21, 2015, 02:21:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

I would like any information on this Chinese tile approx. 7x9.5". It has a frame which looks like it was made just for the tile. Picturing showing back of frame with wooden slides to hold in place. Wondering about the western numbering on the side E3212. Plus the paper label if anyone can see it.
Patty

peterp

The first picture is unusable, the lighting does not show natural colors. The next two look as if it could be about Guangxu reign, but this depends on the color of the trees at the top, and the look of the back (not the wood, but the porcelain).

Stan

The red numbers were probably added by the previous owner for identification, you could probably remove it with your fingernail, if you can not remove it with your fingernail then leave it alone so you will not damage the surface.

Patty

Here is a picture of the back of the tile. It does have some wood fiber, which can be scratched off. The texture is somewhat like a rough sandpaper? Does this help with identification? I will have to research Guangxu reign. And the red numbers will come off - I though they were part of the glaze! I did find a reference to the women's headgear. It was called a crown, xico (xigo) guan, I believe. It did look like the picture in the reference book Dating Chinese Porcelain from Facial Features and Adornments - A HANDBOOK. I do not have the book, just saw bits and pieces on the web.

You folks are great.

Patty

I was just offered $300.00 for this Chinese tile - is that a good offer?

Stan

Hi Patty, this is not a site that discusses value, and you have not sent a better photo of the trees like Peter suggested to authenticate Guangxu period, if it is from that period it would a good item to collect.

Patty

I am truly sorry, thank you for letting me know.

I will try sending a better shot of trees, it is hard to stay within the small (200 kb) picture range. Plus as a retired graphic artist I do know different monitors can affect how one sees color.

I do not collect Asia art, but bought it because I liked it. Have much to learn.

Thank you,
Patty

peterp

Basically, the people appear to be Guangxu (possibly early), but the pine tree could or could not have been modified later. The colors of the needles and trunk are a bit too strong for the period.