Chinese porcelain statue

Started by Stan, Dec 26, 2014, 18:19:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

No Peter I am not familiar with an iron wash, is that some thing done before the painting of the enamels?

peterp

An iron wash is also used in today's studio pottery. Basically it is water with iron oxide dissolved in it. If it is brushed or wiped on an unglazed area, the iron is absorbed into the clay which will turn orange or red during firing.

Stan

The bottom on this is glazed with an orange glaze and there is white spots in the glaze it has a seen to the surface, I do not think an iron wash would have a seen, but looking a 10x loop clearly reveals a glaze.

peterp

Hi Stan,
I do not think that what I see in image 010.jpg is a glaze. The white spots could be areas where no iron was not absorbed. Otherwise, it would have to be something that was added after the firing proper.
You must have an unglazed area somewhere, if there are no spurs or other support points. If there was a glaze while in the kiln the item would be fused with whatever surface it stands on during the firing process, and most likely be non-removable afterwards. So, whatever the orange matter is, it cannot be a glaze.