Unknown mark

Started by Stan, Dec 25, 2014, 11:21:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I bought this in an antique store and they said it was Kakiemon, but I do not think so the bottom looks modern to me, I was wondering if you have ever seen a mark like this, it dose not look Japanese, but if it is could you read it, the size is 20.32 cm wide and 8.89 tall the price was reasonable so I bought it, thanks Peter.

Stan

Here are two more photos to view. Thanks.

peterp

I do not know if this is modern or old, but I think Kakiemon porcelain is still being made.
I also got the impression it is Kakiemon. The bottom mark is a stylized form of "fuku" (or "fu" in Chinese) ?, and it is executed in a typical manner as more recent Japanese ones. More often than not I see them in black on a green background.

Stan

Yes the mark is red and gold, thanks for letting me know that kakiemon is still being made, that explains the kakiemon decoration, I thought it was a copy of a Kakiemon but a latter copy, I have never seen a bottom like this one one so I figured more recent, but it is a good quality piece, thanks again peter, by the way, the antique store I purchased it at just opened a week ago and they have very high end Chinese porcelain and Japanese porcelain and antique furniture, there is a vase they have that they are asking $4200.00 it is a Large powder blue bottle vase with a Qianlong mark, I think it could be early 19th century, I feel that it is worth every penny and some but I have already spent to much.

peterp

Could be that it is included in Arita porzellan. See this (especially on the right side): tinyurl.com/l9sdgon
Unfortunately, this site has no English version: www.kakiemon.co.jp
At the end it says that there are a lot of Kakiemon fakes on the market.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I wish I could read Japanese, but great pictures of Kakiemon.