Ancient Chinese Porcelain

Started by littledays, Dec 11, 2014, 16:21:37

Previous topic - Next topic

littledays

Does anybody know about this mark? How old is this bowl? I've got several ancient Chinese bowls from my great grand mother.

peterp

The specific bowl in the foreground is clearly printed, probably made late 20th or 21st century. It has no collecting value.

Stan

There might be one or two in the whole bunch that might be old, but you can't tell from these pictures, but as Peter said the one shown is printed.

littledays

Thank you very much for your help. I post more pics here, imgur.com/a/3CsZq#0. These ancient porcelain belongs to my great-grandma who came from China about 200 years.

Stan

Some of these are Japanese and could be over 200 years old, some are Chinese, I think at least the shape, but the decoration could be Japanese, not sure, Peter would know more about Chinese decoration from 200 years, and there is some that are recently made, the one that is clearly printed.

peterp

The one that is printed can not be very old. Firstly, Chinese did not use printing until the twentieth century, and when they did, these represented only a small part. General porcelain printing was not a reality until later in the 20th century, after industrialization started. Much was completely or partially hand-painted until about 50 years ago. A lot is still hand-painted today.
The decoration of most of the bowls seem to be copies of earlier decorations. But, either they are from the 20th century or were made in a non-mainstream kiln.  The mark shown appears to be printed as well. And, "????? is not something that appears before the republic period. Factory marks of this type were late on the market, like those meaning "Made in Jingdezhen", "Made in China", etc.

That the foot rim looks old or used does not not necessarily mean that it is antique. This sort of look is often the result of manufacturing quality, or the lack thereof. But decorations using a tone of blue that die not exist 200 years ago make it quite impossible that it could be from that time...

littledays

Thank you very much for your valuable information. First of all, I'm not intended to sell these porcelains. I just want to know the history of my family.

The porcelains are only things that left for me. I'm 42 years old. My mom who passed away has me when she was 35. My grandma has my mom when she was 20 something.

My dad told me that these porcelains belongs to my great-grandma. And she kept them well in the secret room. So, it makes me assume that these things must be 100-200 yrs old.

But at least I know now by the mark on one porcelain which said "Made from Jiangxi". Maybe, my root is from that province of China.

Thank you again.