any ideas on this bowl

Started by Melehawaii, Dec 07, 2014, 13:59:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Melehawaii

I received this bowl as a gift 55 years ago.  does anyone have any idea on how I can determine its marking, its value and where I can sell it.

thank you - I appreciate any guidance.

peterp

Are you sure you are not mixing this up with some other item? The mark and its characters look printed, or a printer font respectively, while 55 years ago much has still been handpainted, if made in China. The mark is a spurious Qianlong mark.
Close-up pictures would be needed to verify if the decoration is also printed.

Melehawaii

There is the red stamp and then a paper sticker that says not to be used for food with printing and writing on it. Here is a close up of the mark only. and another picture.

thank you

peterp

As I said, this mark is spurious, and printed. It would be at least second half of the twentieth century until porcelain printing of this quality would have been possible in China. And, the mark characters look like a printer font. Handmade decorations were made far into the 20th century with many crafts, including porcelain painting. Even now some workshops do it by hand.

If the color decoration is on top of the glaze, it may be of a type that contains lead, so it may be toxic. The label has nothing to do with age or authenticity.