Large lidded jar

Started by Stan, Dec 06, 2014, 06:37:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is another piece I won at the auction, The size is 39.7 cm high. this is all hand drawn and very nicely done, I can't read the writing and it is not signed on the bottom, one thing I noticed and I almost was not going to buy it because the faces are all drawn with a black brush and not the usual brown or color for the out lines of the faces, but the quality is very good, I believe that this is 19th century but not sure when, hopefully  there is something in the characters that will reveal the age, and could you tell me what the Characters mean, thank, I will post 16 photo's to view, thanks.

Stan

Stan

Stan

Last set of photo's.

peterp

Remember that I mentioned the hairstyle being of the republican period? Also, the relatively strong colors and black writing make it 20th century. If older, the writing would either show abrasion or appear grayish.

The motif of these ladies, with similar colors, has been widely used by different porcelain painters.
I can not see a cyclical year, the artisans second name seems to read Mao.

Stan

Hi Peter, thank you so much for your expertise, you have steered me in the right direction time and time again, and you have mentioned time and time again about the women's hair, I know this seems obvious but forgive my ignorance but I am not exactly sure about the differences from Qing to republic, I think I might know but that is what gets me in trouble when I am left to my own judgment, like the green spots, I took that information and blew it out of proportion, is the women's hair drawn and then colored in, in the earlier periods and the later periods more detailed, I hate to ask but is there something obvious that I am just overlooking, I also understand that there are different style from period to period, am I asking a question, that only experience can tell, thanks for any help.