A pair of republican vases.

Started by Stan, Dec 06, 2014, 07:42:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

In the photo that is numbered 8jpg this photo shows the texture in the vases, upon a more thorough inspection, I have found that the stipple texture was not applied by a spray of any kind but in fact was applied to the porcelain with some kind of a tool may be a nap roller, if it was a spray on it would have been even trough out the vase, but I can see where it is missing texture in areas that a roller could not reach it is flat in those areas especially around the neck, I believe the maker of this vase applied this texture as part of his craft while the porcelain was still playable, The reason I know this is because I am an expert on Dry Wall finishes and I can match any texture there is on dry wall, at first I thought this was sprayed on but it couldn't be the way, it was definitely applied  with a tool of some kind and then painted, the question we need to ask ourselves is when was this type of craft used, I know that porcelain and dry wall are two different trades all together but the finish work in dry wall can be very similar to porcelain in other applications.

peterp

I wish I could see it in person. Looking at the picture you mentioned I see what you mean, but I wonder if it could be a natural glaze condition. I never heard of the use of a roller with Chinese porcelain. The two glaze application methods I know consist of spraying the glaze on, and of dipping the whole item into the glaze, but there are probably other methods, like pouring it over the item.
You know perhaps that there are two glaze conditions known that result in the glaze not being smooth. These are normal during certain periods. One is wave (wavy) glaze, the other an orange peel glaze, which both would be normal in certain periods. This pictures resembles somewhat the wave surface of the former.
But I have also seen glazes on items which probably were abnormal, caused possibly by either the kiln temperature or the composition of the glaze. One of these glazes looked the same as some paints do when they get together with the wrong solvent. Compared  to that one the glaze on your item looks quite normal, at least in the area shown.

Stan

Well you certainly know more than I do about how the glaze is applied, I suppose that it could have been caused by the glaze and not on the porcelain it self, but if it had been dunked in the paint all at once or sprayed it would be even all over, but this looks like it was applied with some kind of tool, I only mentioned a roller because I have created that type of a texture on walls and ceilings by spraying or rolling on a compound to get that effect, with a roller I can easily tell the difference between a spay and a roller, I do not think it was sprayed or dunked, I will try to send a better photo of the texture and the inconsistency of the texture, if it was sprayed or dunked you would think that the end results would be an even texture, I will try to send a better photo, when I took these photos I was not thinking of the texture when I took them. Thanks Peter for taking the time to discuss how these items are made.