Thai Market.

Started by calder, Nov 21, 2014, 07:33:22

Previous topic - Next topic

calder

Chinese 'Bencharong' enameled porcelain footed dish for the Thai market?
Thoughts?

calder

peterp

I do not know much about export ceramics to Thailand, but what I suggest is to investigate whether the rim shape could have been made in China.
Almost all export porcelain made in China, no matter for what market, retained a Chinese shape, with exceptions. I would try to find if Benjarong porcelain plates. tazzas do have such a rim shape. If it was made in China, then probably in the early 19th century.

Stan

The enamels look like they are Tin glazed or chemical colors and I agree with peter the shape is a bit odd, could it be Eropean with a tin glazed enamels?

calder

Hi Stan,Peter
Thank you both,there is so much information once steered in the right direction.
Included a pic of some similar shapes.

peterp

I agree that this shape is a Thai shape...but I wonder if those in the book were made in China, for the reason mentioned before.
As far as I know China made porcelain for the royal court from sometime late 18th century to early 19th century, then Thailand produced them by themselves. So, the question is did China make this specific rim shape, which is different from any Chinese rim shape. And, the colors are a bit dark, quite different from those in your book. I wonder if it could have been made elsewhere, or at a later time?

Stan

Its the blue color on this charger that is in question, correct me if I am wrong, but this color blue was not used on Chinese Antique Porcelain.

calder

Hi Stan,I think the colour blue is okay.
As Peter said it was the decoration which was a bit dark.
Found similar for comparison.

http://www.woolleyandwallis.co.uk/Lot/?sale=AA220513-3&lot=452&id=247457

Stan

Hi Calder, I doubt that the piece shown is antique, it looks like a something that could be vintage at the most, my personal opinion.

calder

Hi Stan you are probably right.
Some more pics.

Stan

Hi Calder, thanks for the additional photos, these look a lot more convincing for antique colors.