Small Round Vase

Started by Craig Sawyer, Feb 14, 2014, 08:07:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Sawyer

Hello Peter,
    I have this small vase that is 3 1/2" high X 4 1/2" wide, and is blue-grey.
Could you provide information about it ?    Thank you.

Craig Sawyer
                                                                                Orillia Canada

peterp

This is Fangge crackle ware. If the clay of the unglazed bottom is as dense as it looks in the pictures, then it is from the 20th century. Age of such wares is difficult to estimate without hands-on inspection.

Craig Sawyer

Hello Peter,
  Thank you for your response. I did notice on a web site that a dish from the "Song Dynasty"
has the same marks on it's foot-rim as my vase. Could the vase is from that time-period?

www.albertomanuelcheung.com/Five%20Dynasties%20Celadon%20Dish2.htm

Thank you        Craig Sawyer
                                                                                            Orillia Canada

peterp

First I would like to state that I do not claim to know very much about so-called ancient Chinese ceramics, that is Yuan dynasty and earlier, only about certain types or kilns, and some important facts like certain manufacturing traces, and clay used. This said, I would not give an opinion on the authenticity of that or any other item based on such a picture. Glaze, bottom, etc, are all not shown closely.
I mentioned yours is Fangge, this means it is imitation Ge ware, everything copying the style of the original Ge wares are not period items.
However, the clay (paste) of the foot looks too dense in the picture, which in my opinion makes it out of question that it could be from almost a thousand years ago. If it were, cost would be very high, and shape would be different. My personal view.

Craig Sawyer

Peter,
  Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the information you provided.

Craig Sawyer
                                                                              Orillia Canada