Baluster bottle vase with cylindrical lug handles and tea dust glaze.

Started by Stan, Nov 01, 2014, 02:02:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter have you ever seen a vase like this one, I believe the glaze is called tea dust glaze.
The vase is 38.1 cm tall and the width is 22.2 cm wide, the shine is very dull and the inside shows  cracks from the shrinking when it was fired in the bottom inside, the inside is also glazed the same color.
The weather here in Milwaukie Oregon is raining and very cloudy so the vase got a little wet but I think it is dry enough to see the difference, Please let me know what you think, I just picked this up at a charity store for $40.00, it looks  and feels old to me, but I just do not no about these types of vases, I did a color comparison to the tea dust glazes on Christies and they look very similar but I did not see anything with cylindrical lug handles like this in this shape, your expertise  is appreciated, thanks.

Stan

Here are four more photo's for viewing, thanks for any feedback you have, this vase has an old look to and feel and is very heavy, it was turned on a potters wheel but I have never had a vase of this sort, I hope my $40.00 paid off, Thanks Peter.

Stan

Sorry, I forgot to mention the two holes on the bottom foot, it looks like they were put there so they could run a rope through each side up through the cylindrical lug handles so they could elevate it off the ground, I am just guessing but it sounds like a good reason, thanks again.

Stan

One more thing that I just checked is that it has a low ring sound to it when I click it with my finger.

peterp

This should give you an idea what it was used for, or rather from what the vase derives from:  tinyurl.com/oed5xq8
One name is "Arrow Vase".
Yes, teadust glaze. Could be Qing dynasty, but perhaps late Qing,in my view.

Stan

Thank you Peter for the web site, I read somewhere arrow vase when I was searching but had no idea what they meant buy arrow vase, but now I do, the ones I saw at Chisties that was called arrow vase was made of jade or some stone, on the web site I did not see one like this one or one with holes in the foot, so possibly late Qing, Thank you Peter, my instinct paid off, not to bad for
a $40.00 purchase.

peterp

The original arrow vases may have been made of bronze. Many of the later porcelain vessels were imitating bronze items from much earlier times, like the Gu vases, for example.

Stan

Hi Peter, I had displayed this vase by a window in my house and the light was hitting it just right and I'll be darn if I did not see a vertical seam just in the upper part of the vase, the baluster part is hand turned but the upper portion, the long neck must have been made in a mould, the vertical seams are hardly noticeable, but in the right light it is very obvious, wouldn't that put it in the mid to late 20th century?

peterp

Stan, I do not know when Jingdezhen started using molds, probably it depends on the kiln. JDZ had problably several hundreds a century ago. But yes, it would make it 20th century.
I only know that Dehua, another of China's big three started using molds around 1934.

Stan

So possibly as early as 1934 but probably did not carry over to other kilns until later maybe 1950 just guessing, thanks Peter for the information.