Blue/Green Glazed Terra-cotta Pieces

Started by eman, Nov 03, 2014, 23:25:27

Previous topic - Next topic

eman

I have several pieces of this glazed terra-cotta (?). One of the pieces has a white porcelain piece with characters. One of the candle sticks has an impression of characters that is very difficult to see. Are all of these pieces of the same period? And what period?

peterp

I would forget that impressed mark. It is irrelevant for dating. Normally such items have none.
This said, I have a jar similar to the smaller one behind the candle sticks. It is glazed earthenware, and probably late Qing dynasty.
That the items have all a similar glaze does not necessarily mean they are from the same era. The large jar on the right could be older, but these photographs are insufficient.

The item with the embedded porcelain foot would be of interest, can you provide more pictures? Does not look like one of the items shown? The mark is also late Qing. This sort of embedded bottom could be expected in excavation sites. Is this something different altogether?

eman

The vase with the porcelain disc is the one behind the candle sticks. I've included more photos of the piece along with photos of the larger jar with handles.

peterp

Thanks for the closeup pictures. Viewed in these pictures, the jar is quite different from mine, both the shape of the bottom and color of the fired clay below. Looks old, but the embedded bottom is a question mark to me. If it were more recent, I would think they wanted to give the item more value, but the jar looks old. And in the old times such a thing is unimaginable - an oddity so to say, but interesting.
The embedded porcelain bottom is probably that of a tea cup. Does the porcelain piece show on the inside?

Not sure about the large jar. The bottom is not what I expected, neither is the decoration. I wonder if it could be from a southern kiln, or even SE Asia?