Sancai Teapot

Started by kardinalisimo, Oct 29, 2014, 11:00:30

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

I am almost sure it is a recent reproduction but wanted to double check.
Thanks

peterp

Hi, I do not think I can be of much help. I know that there are some weird shapes that are not in the usual lines of antique products, especially from southern kilns. I know chicken head pots with one or two heads, but this is a first. You will have to find out if this type of item was made at all, if no one here knows where or when this specific pot was made.

What little I know about sancai wares is limited to Liao sancai and Tang sancai, so if this should be something from another period, the following may not be of any help.
Sancai wares of the Liao and Tang dynasties required slip (????to be applied on the ceramic body, before applying the glaze to increase adherence, otherwise the glaze would easily peel off. Any item of those periods that has no slip is suspect. In other words, if this type of pot was made originally in those periods, then the item in the photographs is likely a later copy - as it has no slip.

kardinalisimo

Thanks Peter.
I highly doubt the pot is from Tang Or Liao times. It just does not show the age signs I would expect from old  piece like this.

I found a similar reproduction here:
www.china-cart.com/d.asp?a=Chinese+Classic+Archaized+Tang+San+Cai+Statue-Dragon+Head+Shaped+Handle+Kettle&d=10115

I wonder if the one I am asking about is a recent copy or it could have some age. The interior was covered in dirt which I've seen on fake Chinese pieces but there was dirt on the inside too. I doubt that it was originally purchased like that. Using it as a planter or flower pot would not be convenient because of the handle.