Blue Charger

Started by kardinalisimo, Oct 15, 2014, 07:53:43

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

I have doubts that it is Chinese and don't see any significant age signs. What do you think? Recent Chinese, Japanese, South Asian?
Can someone comment briefly on shape, rim, blue pigment, decoration, foot rim, the unglazed base, the white glaze etc.

Thanks

peterp

SE Asian might be a possibility, but not antique either way, I think.  The orange color on this type of unglazed bottom is strange. The rim shape and the wave decoration look as if they wanted to reproduce a Yuan or early Ming style. However, if it were of that period the decorations of such a large item would be much more elaborate and carefully executed. It looks like many fakes that have simple decorations, to save time. The Qilin also also looks a bit funny.
My personal view.

kardinalisimo

Thanks Peter.
I would never think that this could be period Yuan because I don't see enough wear.
I did look at some museum pieces and they indeed seem to be more elaborate and finely painted.
I am curious if all similar pieces from Yuan and early Ming were of a good quality and execution? Was there a difference in the quality between the Imperial pieces and the commercial ones?
Also, how did they make those shapes? I guess the main body was hand thrown but how about the waved rims? Molds or pressed by hand?
I was a bit surprised to find that period Yuan chargers sells for 100k and more at the auction houses. Few rare pieces even for over a million.

peterp

Almost all Yuan B/W pieces of this size would be in museums in the Middle East, the larger part in the Topkapi. It is said that less than a thousand authentic pieces can be found in China itself, today.
Search for "topkapi chinese porcelain".