Chinese Export Ginger Jar? without lid

Started by david, Oct 11, 2014, 21:57:11

Previous topic - Next topic

david

Hi Stan and Peter,  Here is a Porcelain Ginger Jar, that I think is out of the same estate as the 2 mugs that I sent for ID.  Could it possibly be Chinese Export and how old do you think it could be.  I briefly looked up flags and I think that the flag might be of Sweden.  The emblem is painted with exquisite detail with a sea serpent, stork, what appears to be an armored arm with a sword, and 2 flags.  There is also an instrument that looks like a masons symbol.  Very detailed hand painted borders on top and bottom.  To bad the lid is missing.  Thanks for looking, these things fascinate me.  Oh, the emblem is painted on both sides of the piece, front and back, exactly the same.

Stan

This would be considered  Chinese Amorial Export, baluster form, and is very rare and very expensive, however on this one I believe it is a reproduction, the shape is not right and it has a high shine with no scratches and no ware to the bottom, 99.9% of these for sale are fakes.

peterp

This would be a so-called temple jar.
I would be careful with armorial items. Judging by the condition of the decoration this jar  is unlikely very old. Old armorial porcelain is seldom in pristine condition, even if it was never used. The black and gilt parts of the decoration is easily abraded merely by handling it. And yours has no usage signs at all.
Please be aware that the fakers have picked up on the high price of armorial porcelain. Years ago it was possible to find antique armorial porcelain on Ebay, for example. What is offered today are mostly more recent items.