Chinese Export Mug? Late 1700's? Rooster foot handle

Started by david, Oct 10, 2014, 20:26:15

Previous topic - Next topic

david

Could anyone possibly confirm my thoughts that this might be a Chinese Export Mug from the late 1700's?  There's a similar one on Ebay which is just floral, this one has what appears to be a family crest and monogram.  Thanks!

peterp

Better provide close up pictures. Need details from front center and back center decoration, as well as a close shot of the bottom (really close). Partial is fine, but the foot rim and part of the base should be clearly visible. Any blemishes should be visible.
On the surface this could be 18th century, but there are too many fakes out there.

david

Thank you Peter.  I'm afraid that my digital camera doesn't take close ups, but I will certainly try. 

peterp

With a digital camera you just need high enough resolution. You then cut out the required piece from the overall image using the image program. Usually that is sufficient.
Or, you can upload a large image of the whole item on an outside image host (e.g. Photobucket) and post the link here.

Stan

david

Stan

could you provide a picture of the bottom at an angle so we get a good photo of the foot rim, thanks.

Stan

This is why pictures are so important, everything checked out until now, this is clearly a good reproduction, actually one of the best Ive seen.

Stan

The foot is wrong and the bottom inside the foot would have been glazed.

david

Have you seen the one on Ebay?  The bottom looks very similar to mine, unglazed.  Mine actually has a small round glazed center.  Could the one on Ebay be a fake as well?

Stan

I have seen many of these and I have some some my self, the bottom on yours is modern, if the one on ebay has a foot like yours and unglazed bottom I would not buy it.

Stan

Furthermore, all of the late 18th century were hand made and they differ a little one from another, but they all kept the same style, same foot, same glazed bottoms, another thing is the inside of your cup is also wrong for that period and conforms to a cup made in a mould,