Blue Sweetmeat Dish

Started by kardinalisimo, Oct 03, 2014, 04:49:25

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

peterp

The shape alone already makes it Japanese, as does the decoration.

kardinalisimo

What's wrong with the shape? I thought it could possibly be a piece from those sets where you arrange the different parts next to each other and form a square or circle.
What is it from the decoration that makes it Japanese? The trees, the water, the mounts, the birds, the border or everything together?
Thanks

peterp

The color of the rim, the spirals and shape are all wrong. If you knew Japanese modern shapes you would recognize this as Japanese too. But given you don't, put the pieces together to a whole and the outer circumference shape is still not Chinese.

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the explanation. The Japanese shapes are in so many varieties. The good thing with the tradition Chinese shapes is that they are not that many  and this can be used when identifying if the piece is older or not. Bur are not there cases even with Chinese pieces when the shapes derive from the traditional forms? Like the ones made for export? I guess some of  the pieces made for the court were also with uncommon shapes and patterns.
I was also concerned about the rim decoration and the shade of the blue. The only thing that looked Chinese to me was the depicted scene itself. But probably thre are some things with it that are not traditional Chinese either.