Foo Lion - old or new?

Started by Mat, Sep 27, 2014, 23:07:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat

Hello again,
this is another piece of which I am not sure how to date it. The lion is 20 cm high. I think it could be early Republic Period, or is it later? And what does the impressed mark say? Thank you in advance for your help!
Mat

peterp

Judging by the bright blue color it is more likely later. The enlarged stamp in the corner is the number 176.
In recent times the stamp "CHINA" has started reappearing on more recent items. It was originally discontinued around 1920.  This one is crimson, it used to be a different shade of red. It is now more difficult to tell age.

Mat

Thank you again, peterp, I guess you are most likely right. However I would like to explain why I thought that this one could actually be a bit older (Republic Period). One hint for me was that it is not slip-cast, but was pressed in the mould, which on the foot consists of two pieces ( you can see the seam going diagonally through the base where the pieces were put together). One can see the tracks of the tool that was used to work the piece on the inside of the head through the mouth. Normally new pieces I have seen have a very even, soft surface on the inside. Another is that I have read that Chinese started writing numerals from lest to right about 1950, and before they were written in the traditional manner from top to bottom, as can be seen here on the stamp you translated for me. Could all these be hints for an earlier dating, or are these techniques still used in the last decades?
Regards, Mat

peterp

Unfortunately, I have to say, they will imitate anything, and they are quite capable at it. For top priced items they will even get them done with old material (clay and glaze), that was never used, they will produce with old methods, including wood firing, they may use old seal stamps, etc., and all variations in between down to the crudest, for cheaper items. There are few things that cannot be copied. And it is not only antique items that are faked, but even some that would be considered  vintage only.

Mat

Thank you peterp, so it is getting really difficult, as you said. I wonder why they copy these "vintage" things...
Mat

peterp

Some people in the antique business in China say that high price is no problem if an item is authentic and/or of good quality. The problem is getting real antiques.
In China some porcelains from the 1940s or 50s are already very collectable. But only if they are of good quality and not damaged, or if they are from a famous craftsman, etc.. There are just not enough older antiques to satisfy demand. Some which we would consider too "young" to be collectible are sought after... Items from the early Qing or late Ming dynasties are sometimes even acceptable despite damage.