Canton blue and white serving platter.

Started by Stan, Sep 27, 2014, 03:40:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, this is one of the other platters from the action, I have only seen one of these before, they are very rare to have this shape, I am not sure of the age, this one is not in my book, the decoration is in the book,but this shape is not, the other platter is in my book I will post that as well, it has the same boarder and decoration.

Stan

Stan

Here is the last set of photos to view, please let me know how old you think this serving dish is, in my book it says some are older than others and I know that these type of serving platters were made in england in the early 18th century and then the Chinese started making them for export, but this one has me baffled, thanks Peter for your expert opinion.

peterp

With this bottom it is difficult to tell the age. I would think mid-Qing (Yongzheng-Jiaqing), but not sure.  In theory it should not be 18th century, because of the grit in the bottom, but as all of the base is unusual, it leaves only the decoration for evaluation.
As with the other plate, the water is painted in Kangxi fashion, but the trees, etc. do not show any Kangxi features, so it is possibly later. Remarkable seems to be that the boats are also a bit different from those I see usually.

The bottom looks as if it was intended to collect gravy or something on one side. This has made the unglazed part very atypical.  I'm afraid you have to wait until you see something similar, until you know for sure from when it is. 

Stan

Thanks again Peter for your insight, I will keep you up to date on anything I find out, the size of this platter is 39.4 cm and the width is 31.7