Is this a signed piece by Poh Chap Yeap ??

Started by mikelv85, Feb 11, 2014, 07:58:22

Previous topic - Next topic

mikelv85

I've been told this is possibly the signature of Poh Chap Yeap on this piece. I'm a bit skeptical because it seems more complex to me than the ones I've seen online. Looking for another opinion  Thanks -Mike-

peterp

I don't know what you mean by "Poh Chap Yeap", that is not Mandarin. But the pot doesn' t look like anything traditional Chinese.

mikelv85

Hi Peter,
He was a well known Malaysian potter who lived in England. I knew nothing about him until I did a little research. Seems like his pieces are a bit valuable and someone on the 20th century forum suggested this might be his signature on my piece. I've since found out it's Japanese but no way of knowing who made it unless someone has seen this signature before. Thanks anyway for looking. -Mike-

Poh Chap Yeap was born in 1927 in Kota Baharu, Malaysia. He came to England in 1948 to study law, and his pottery career began in Aarhus, Denmark, in 1961. He returned to Britain the following year to study ceramics at Putney Evening Institute and then Hammersmith College of Art. In 1967 he was a research student in ceramics at the Royal College of Art.
He is a fine thrower and worked in porcelain and stoneware making bowls, dishes and decorative vessels. His work has been exhibited world wide and he has taught at various schools and polytechnics.
Until 1986, when he stopped potting, Yeap worked at Ewhurst, Surrey, and now lives in Cranleigh, Surrey.