Pair Of Celadon Urns

Started by kardinalisimo, Sep 18, 2014, 12:23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

The one is just a bit taller and wider than the other.
Are these Chinese? I can see some age on the glaze but no idea how old.
Also, the unglazed areas are reddish in color but there are few chips where can be seen white underneath. What is that supposed to mean?
Thanks

kardinalisimo

Any thoughts?
I will try to dig a little deeper in the chinese websites but the celadon matter covers a long period and I am not sure where to start from.

Stan

I bought a Yuan vase and posted it here to find out it was a newer creation, celedon very similar to yours, the bottoms were completely different though on these, I do not know enough to say one way or the other but I do not see any ware on the bottoms and I think that the Yuan bottoms where never glazed like yours but if Im not mistaken I think that the Yuan had a foot at the base.

kardinalisimo

Was the vase with thick or thin glaze? Here the glaze is very thin.

Stan

Yes mine was on the thin side, the color was identical to the one I had you could see areas that was missing some glaze and very thin, I guess that some would call it a skip glaze,

kardinalisimo

Interesting, sounds like the same glaze. Would be nice to see some images of the vase.
I also don't see a lot of age on the bottom but I have not seen a lot of  antique red clay pieces. Actually, as I said above, I am not sure of the type of  clay as I see white on the chipped spots.
The place I got them from had no clue what they were.  Because of the not that aged bottoms I never thought they may date back to Yuan but at least the glaze show some age( of course it could be faked) so I thought they may be older. 
By the way, I called them urns, but what is the correct term for this kind of shapes?
As if Yuan pieces had flat or foot rim bottoms I have no clue. But that may also depends onnthe type of  the vessel.

Stan

I think that the shape would be called a Hu form, the vase I posted is still on the site, I posted so many thing that I forgot what it is under, I can't even remember if it was Yuan.

kardinalisimo

I think I found your post. The ribbed vase, right?
Peter was talking about an iron wash so I think that explains my question. Seems like the clay on my pieces is white and the bisque had been washed with iron oxide and then glazed. 

Stan

Yes that is the vase, the iron wash is that what gives the reddish color in the clay, did you notice that your vase has the same ribbed sides, I suppose it was from the turning when it was thrown on the potters wheel.

kardinalisimo

The ribs are not that obvious on the outside, at least not like on yours, but they are quite visible on the inside.

Stan

I bought mine on ebay and the guy said it was 200 plus years old, so I had it appraised and it turned out to be fairly new so I sent it back.