Small Satsuma Censer.

Started by Stan, Sep 20, 2014, 03:37:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I bought this on Ebay, the quality is superb, the seller said nothing about the marks, and I can not find anything on line, could you please tell me what the writing is, it was signed on all sides including the inside of the lid and the bottom but the lid and the bottom might be the clue to where it was made, please let me know what you think, it looks like it is turn of the 20th century, thanks for your response.

Stan

Here are more photos to view and I forgot to give you the size, the hight to the top of the lid is 7.9 cm and the width from handle to handle is 8.9 cm.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

This is the last photo to post, this is the bottom mark.

peterp

The name on the mark is Tamahide, a male name. That is all I can tell you. You should understand more of this than me. Just wanted to point out that the bottom crackling was created artificially, in my view.

Stan

Yes you are right about the crackle, I am pretty sure that on Satsuma earthen ware, it all has a crackle glaze,  that is one of the distinctions of Satsuma, I have never heard of Tamahide before, it hardly sounds Japanese, I will do a name search, thanks Peter for the information, I will let you know it I find anything else, thanks again.

Stan

Hi Peter, which mark says Tamahide, and is Tamahide a name of a place in Japan?

peterp

No Stan, as I mentioned, it is a male personal name.

Stan

I could not find any thing on this artist or potter.