Chinese Celadon "Meiping" Vase / Crackle Glaze with Brown Etched Mark

Started by mikelv85, Feb 09, 2014, 18:22:09

Previous topic - Next topic

mikelv85

Hello
I bought this vase at a local thrift store because I loved the color and shape. I'm thinking it's not very old but curious to know any information about it. Any thoughts as to what the mark on the bottom might be and the age of this piece ? It's 9 1/2 " tall and finished in a green crackle glaze. The interior bottom is black and dirty. I've heard that this may be an indication of age.
                                                                                          Thank you for any help and expertise,
                                                                                                                    -Mike-

peterp

I never heard that the interior bottom is of any consquence with this type of item, only the exterior one is.
This is a Fangge vase with a badly written Chenghua mark. As the bottom is the only thing that can be used for judging adge with this otherwise undecorated vase, we can only assume that it is late Qing dynasty or early republic.

mikelv85

Thank you Peter for looking at my vase and the information. I had posted it on another forum and was told it was interesting and I should have it appraised by an auction house but nothing more specific. I suppose they meant that the accumulation of dirt inside might show age as opposed being perfectly clean inside or like new, hence a reproduction. So somewhere around the turn of the century seems to be the agreed time period. They did mention the mark looked rather poor and was probably written by a worker whose writing skills were somewhat lacking. I found an 18th century Qianlong punch bowl with hunting scenes on it a few months ago at a thrift shop. Ever since then I have been looking for other pieces and trying to learn as much as I can.
                                                                                                                  Thank you again,
                                                                                                                          -Mike-