Large Ceramic Chinese? Charger Trash or Treasure

Started by zoobeedo, Mar 16, 2014, 00:03:45

Previous topic - Next topic

zoobeedo

Hello,
I picked this up about a year ago and I do cherish it! I have literally looked at thousand and thousands of photographs trying to identify this pattern to no avail. There is no mark. The back is crazed and the inside rim of the underside does not have glaze on it. The glaze has a slightly green tint to it which I understand can mean many things,  Does anyone have any idea about this piece. Your help is deeply appreciated.

Sue

peterp

This would be Japanese, but maybe someone else can tell you how old it could be.

zoobeedo

Thank you so much. Knowing it's Japanese sends me on a new path and hopefully I will be able to identify it. Can you tell me what characteristics make it Japanese or how you have come to that conclusion?

Sue

Stan

Hi Sue, your plate is Japanese Imari porcelain, I can't see the whole bottom, but I'm guessing that it is not marked, the Japanese did not always put there marks in the center like the Chinese, but from the looks of your plate the bottom appears not to be marked and looks modern to me, the decoration with the red and blue and green colors are typical for Imari, however, your plate has a crackle glaze and a lot of gold which is typical for satsuma I think your plate is a satsuma Imari, probably mid 20th century, in my opinion.

zoobeedo

Thank you so much for all the information.  Looking at Satsuma Imari, it does resemble these more than anything.

Sue

Stan

Hi Sue, I am curious, do you have a 10x loop magnifier to view your charger, if you do look at the colors especially  the lighter colors like the lighter reds, if you see a lot of dots it is printed, I have seen a lot of chargers, fish bowls and other items that look just like yours, if you do not see the dots it is most likely painted. please let me know.

Stan

Good yours is hand painted and that makes it more valuable.