Not a bunch of figurines discussed here.

Started by Qst42know, Sep 10, 2014, 09:43:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Qst42know

I see many small hand molded mudmen here and there and the new cast ones plenty. I suspect this is something different.

Is this anything of value?

Stan

Hi, we do not discuss values here, and I do not no much about figurines but it looks like you have a very nice early republic figurine, nice quality and  the word China on the bottom tells me it could be from 1885 to 1920, Peter Im sure will be able to tell you more.

Qst42know

I was not asking for a price. I respect the rules here. I was just trying to recognise wortwhile items from junk. My apologies for the way I phrazed my post.

Stan

Well it doesn't look like junk if it is from the period I suggested it would have collectors value.

Qst42know

I ment no offence Stan. I "value" the knowledge shared so freely here far more than any estimate. ;)

peterp

At first I thought it looks like the items from the second quarter of the 20th century, but a closer look at the bottom makes it appear later.
While the "CHINA" mark would make it earlier, I think the letters are much too neat.
If really old, the stamp for impressing the mark would have been hand carved, but this like some printing font. And, the bottom is much too smooth for a figurine of the early 20th century.

Qst42know

I likely missed the better of the two figurines at that sale. I got a look at it before someone else bought it. The bottom looked deliberatly knocked out. What was left was part of the word China and the corner of a square chop mark stamp. I set it down due to the damage. Wasn't there a time when the older period items were destroyed by the government and some items saved by defacing them?