Sancai Style Glaze Bowl

Started by kardinalisimo, Sep 05, 2014, 08:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

I know this type of wares are hard to ID but any suggestions are welcomed. No idea if it is Tang, Liao, Islamic or made recently.
Thanks

peterp

Not experienced with this early types, but looks like Liao sancai to me. See tinyurl.com/mvnxtej - but like always probably not all are authentic.

However, what is the white substance along the rim on the plate. If it is slip, then it is right. These wares should have slip on the body, and the decoration is on the slip. If there is none, then it may be wrong. (Unfortunately, they are now faking such wares too.)

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the reply. Indeed, there is white substace along the rim and even a little bit on some areas at the underside, like leftover from the potters hands. Not sure how to tell if it is a slip or paint used for the decoration. Will take some closeups pics and upload later.
I will have to read a little bit more to find more details on the sancai wares. I guess different kilns used different techniques. I did read that white slip was used on the darker clays but not sure if there were cases where the decoration was applied directy on the bisque. There also seems to be thin and thick glazes depending on the type of wares. Some bowls I saw had three spur marks at the center. I guess they used supports to stack them in the kilns when firing.
The bowl seems to me a bit lighter for its size but I guess that depends on the type of clay used.
The piece shows a good amount of age signs but as you said fakers are good at everything nowadays. I have no idea how to authenticate the bowl. Of course it will need a hands on inspection but don't think there are real experts in my area.

peterp

The use of slip is not related to the color of the glaze. It is related to the density and consistency of the clay. Early wares were using porcelains or clays that were porous or otherwise not unsuitable for applying the glaze. It would easily peel off without slip.
You could say that slip takes the place of a filler or base paint, which allowed that the glaze to adhere better to the body after firing. Items of that era that do not have slip are suspicious.

kardinalisimo

The few sources in English that I found state that the white slip was used to achieve better effect of the color glazes. But your explanation about the better adhering is quite reasonable.
Peter, there was no actual white glaze on Liao sancai, right? Iron for amber/brown,  copper for green and cobalt for blue and the white was produced by clear glaze over the white slip.

When a white slip was applied on red clay and when the glaze is chipped what are we supposed to see -  the white slip or the bisque?

peterp

Looks as if it is glazed earthenware. The slip is just semi-liquid clay. It is lighter than the fired clay, but not necessarily white. I cannot tell if the white substance is slip, but slip does not get vitrified like glaze. It just looks like the fired clay, but with a lighter hue. It is easy to see usually, because the color glaze does not cover the slip fully.

tonny joeswanto

I never see the deep conical sancai bowl of tang dynasty. But I see the base is corect of the tang conical bowl. The glaze, and the clay.. Just rare of tang dynasty deep conical bowl...nice bowl..:)