Chinese Antique roof tile.

Started by Stan, Aug 25, 2014, 02:15:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I received this from an antique dealer going out of business, this was an item that she had on consignment, she was told by the owner that the maker of this statue tile was commissioned by the Emperor to make all the porcelain tile, I have seen many of these but not as detailed as this one and none that were signed, could you tell me what the characters mean and if it is a makers mark, thanks, I will send 16 photos.

Stan

Stan

Stan

Last set of photos, I would like to mention that you can see the makers fingerprints. and the size is 34.03 cm and the length is 30.38 cm.

peterp

> commissioned by the emperor...?

The impression says Lin Guangyi.
See http://www.ncfta.gov.tw/Lin/index.html

Stan

Hi Peter, well that is what she said but she is in her 80s and gets confused about things, well it looks like Lin Guangyi is a modern artist of today in Taiwan, at least I did not pay to much, thank you Peter for taking the time to let me know, it sure looks old.

peterp

Keep it, Stan. Famous artisan's items representing traditional arts will increase in value, in the future, even if their items are not antique (at least here they do).

Stan

Thank you for the information, I think your right, I paid the same price for this as the seller paid, she took it on consignment and said that the lady that consigned it to her paid what I paid $350.00 there was also a flier with several other items of his works, I am guessing because there was only a phone number on the flier and nothing else except pictures of other works, it dose not have his name or anything but the photos and phone number, I was thinking of call the number just to see how much they are selling for, it was a phone number to a gallery in San francisco in California, but she also said she did not know anything about the maker other than she thought it was an important piece, but like you say, one of these days it just might be, so apparently this is a local artist from Taiwan.