Underglaze Painted Porcelain

Started by kardinalisimo, Aug 27, 2014, 10:03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

I have bought few of those in the past but since then I don't  bother with similar ones as everything I've seen is crudely painted, blurry washes, faint colors, no age signs etc.. something is always wrong. Most of the time they look like a big mess to me.

This example I assume is recent or vintage, probably made in Japan.
I've always thought they are trying to imitate an older style of decoration but never knew for sure if three of five ( some of them has yellow as well) colors on bisque ever existed. If so, I would think they were introduced during Kangxi.
Peter, can you shed some light on this type of decoration. When it was introduced, any specific term for it, what are the colors supposed to look like, are the drawings supposed to be finely done etc...
Would be interesting to see an image of an authentic piece.
Thanks

Stan

The colors look like ducai style, but I'm not sure of the decoration. looks more recent in my opinion.

kardinalisimo

I am sure it is but curious if there were real pieces like this.
Doucai is underglazed blue outlines with overglazed color washes and fill ups. I am asking about all the colors being painted on the bisque.

Stan

That is definitely one for Peter to answer.

peterp

Looks like mass production of the decoration. The blue could be some kind of transfer printing of the outlines. That could explain why the lines are so faint in some parts. Seems to be grapes, but as you already said, very crudely painted. I would not bother with this, unlikely antique, and likely to have collecting value.

kardinalisimo

But Peter does similar decoration on the bisque exist on antique pieces?  I see a lot of similar recent once so I am thinking they maybe try to imitate older style? But searching for antique porcelain with these colors under the glaze brings no results on google. 

peterp

There are antique grape decorations, but I do not recommend trying to justify the current item with those or looking for similar antique items. Newer is newer, but I would suggest to not waste time in this way. There are more new decorations that do not have any antique precedent, because of the 20th century creativity. You are mostly doing well analyzing the points of porcelain that prove or disprove antiquity, drawing the right conclusion. Just continue this way...it takes experience. There is no shortcut way.