Large blue and white baluster vase with Kangxi mark.

Started by Stan, Aug 27, 2014, 23:54:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is another one for your viewing, this vase is 37.7 cm high and the widest point is 26 cm wide, there has been a repair on the top, I can see where it has been repainted and inside some of the paint is coming off, also there is a little more blue to the color than on these photos, it is early morning here and I could not get the exact blue color shown, is this one of the Guangxu period revival of the kangxi period? I will seen 12 photos for your viewing, thanks.

peterp

My personal view: probably mid-Qing dynasty to first half of 19th century, judging by the domestic pigment used. The four character Kangxi mark was most commonly used in the Guangxu reign, but mostly without the double ring, but this is not that late, probably.

Stan

Thanks Peter, thanks for you for your valuation.

peterp

I do not do valuations, Stan, I only give my opinion... :-)

Stan

Thanks for your expert opinion, I know its not for value but valuation of age, maybe thats not the right word, I will use another next time, thanks again peter.

Stan

Is this the only time this particular blue color pigment was used in the periods you mention, mid Qing to 1st half of the 19th century or is this just one of the blue pigments used at this time.

peterp

Stan, even for me this is one of the more difficult areas although I am getting to know it better, slowly. Pigments mined in China were generally darker, except of one type that was only used in the Kangxi era for a short time. As the pigments were also frequently mixed, it is sometimes difficult to tell. You have also to look at the decoration, etc. The whiteness of the glaze and clay also affects these color hues.

Stan

I know we have to take everything into account, but it is hard to do when you have Chinese copying dynasties shape colors and design, this vase does have provenance, I am buying a collector collection, he said that he has been collecting all his life and this is one of the items that he has had for 50 plus years.