Chinese platter

Started by Sakshi, Sep 06, 2024, 10:27:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Sakshi

Could you please give me any information about this platter?  About 29 by 24cm  No mark as the base is  flat. Lightweight.

peterp

This is the millefiori or mille fleur pattern. Usually, those with a black background visible are sometime in the first quarter or so of the 20th century. But the flowers on this one are much more elaborate and beautiful. The bottom also looks as if it could be earlier, but not sure.

Hopefully, someone else knows more about this.

Sakshi

I was told the gold swirls on the back indicated something... but it's so long ago I've forgotten what.

Sakshi

Closer base shots. 

peterp

You better wait at least a day or more, so that those in the west can see that. Here in the Far East this type of porcelain is not plenty at all as it was mostly made for export. The original millefiori decorations made in the mid and late Qing dynasty look a bit different from the export ones, and were never plenty.

The bottom looks interesting ...

Sakshi

Thank you for your input so far, Peter.. I'll wait.
It's a beautiful piece.. I enjoy just looking at it.

Stan

I agree with you Peter, From an earlier period, this would be export, very nice.

heavenguy

IMO, I think it might be republic period with a chance of early 20th century. That yellow screams Republic to me. And those blue and red enamels on the flowers, the way they are painted, it was really popular even on lower quality pieces from the republic period. 

I have seen similar decoration with this type of quality on Republic pieces with a cartouche 4 character Qianlong mark common to the republic. I used to have a Guangxu marked one but instead of black it was gold in color but the quality was better on mine. I usually find lower quality pieces of this pattern all the time where I live, but to be honest they are so common that I don't even pick them up anymore. But this one, I would pick it up all day long. 

Like Peter said, The bottom looks way older for republic or guangxu. but to be honest I have never seen mille fleur pattern older than guangxu. but that is just my two cents on the subject...

Sakshi

I'm a bit confused, but grateful for the input.  Thanks everyone.

Adriano

For better understanding, is it possible to have pictures with a complete view of the piece.

Thank you

peterp

There are top and bottom views below...

Sakshi

@Adriano I do have pictures of the whole piece in my first post.  Do you need something else?

Sakshi

Also, just regarding the colours.. the others were taken under a flourescent light.  It's really hard to get the actual colours right.

Adriano

Thank you Sakshi,

very beautiful piece.