Marks or Decoration?

Started by Kaaren B., Jul 08, 2024, 01:08:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaren B.

These marks appear on one side of a lobed bowl with detailed scene painting and heavy cobalt blue and gilt decoration. I submitted here some time ago and it was suggested to be early 20th century satsuma style export.

I thought it was unsigned, but looked at it again recently. And, in one area there are two sections. In one, little gilt "stars" look like decoration, but on the adjacent one, there is a gilt feather and what look like might be actual marks.

Are the marks in the section with the feather "marks" as in signature? Or are they, too, just decoration? Have provided two phots, one closer up of the marks, the other with some of the painting and cobalt/gilt decoration showing.

Thanks. Kaaren

Stan

Hi Kaaren, the Marks or just decoration on the right side look more like marks but they are illegible if they are marks, they could also be marks representing good fortune or something to that nature. but to me they look more like part of the decoration, I agree with early 20th century, Japanese Export quality went down hill at this time, esp with Satsuma ware. Lets see if some one can identify the decoration or possible marks on the right side.

Kaaren B.

peterp

As far as I can see these are not characters. Neither Kana nor Kanji.
Also a "feather"? Looks like reed to me.

Kaaren B.

Thanks, both. I'll try to post a couple of better photo of the painting on the bowl.

It's nicely detailed, with soft luminous colors, not scanty with a few figures, a few fronds, and lots of cobalt, as I've seen on many. The back and front panels are different scenes, as well. You've already scene the side panel with gold "starry" decoration.

Someone worked decently on this.

I had always read that this type of "satsuma" export emerged around 1870, when the gosu blue was ditched for cobalt. And that by the early 20th century, everything was signed, so I figured I'd missed something.

The bowl is earthenware (heavy, no ping, just a dull thud), and my phone camera, as usual, couldn't capture the very fine crackle glaze in the ivory bits.

The whole satsuma thing is very confusing. This is Japanese earthenware, with fine crackle glaze in the warm ivory bits, nicely detailed painting. Is this Western Export Satsuma, or not Satsuma at all? (I've called it that here so i can find it easily in my overloaded Pictures file.)

I never have quite grasped it. K.