Unmarked Japanese Looking Old Vase

Started by Kaaren B., Jul 05, 2024, 03:26:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaren B.

I have had this for some time, another item from an estate sale of an Asian family. It is unmarked, has an unglazed bottom, is a warm ivory, not porcelain (see unglazed bottom and no ping), and a very fine crackle glaze that, as usual, my old camera could not capture. Thick gilding around foot rim and top rim. Does anyone have any idea whether this is actually Japanese/Chinese? Or, is it just "unknown vase"?

The color in the first photo is the actual one. The others are slightly off tone. I hope I have done a better job with the photos, compressing rather than resizing them.

Thanks, Kaaren

peterp

The floral decoration does not seem to be in a Japanese style, and not very old either.

Kaaren B.

Thanks. I found some similar items on the internet that were described as Japanese, and picked it up at a sale of an Asian home, so wondered, but no way to judge myself. K.

Stan

Hi Kaaren, is that the right photo for the bottom of this vase? I can't say for sure if it is Japanese or not, the flower is not your typical Japanese decoration, traditionally the Chrysanthemum is the national flower of Japan and is usually used for decoration, I am not sure what these flowers are, but if the bottom is for this vase it would be vintage at the most, looks like it could be earthenware used for Satsuma types, the small crackle would be right, if you click it with your finger it should make a low ring sound, not like porcelain that makes a high ring sound, a low sound would make it Earthenware, also the color of the ground would be an almond to a light yellowish color if Satsuma type.