Chinese blue and white wine pot

Started by abderrahim, Jun 03, 2024, 06:50:05

Previous topic - Next topic

peterp

Can you upload a picture showing the pot inside where the spout is attached? The holes can sometimes give some hint about age.
Overall it looks as if it is antique, but the floral decoration in the upper part could be transfer printed. Not sure about this, though.

abderrahim

Hi Peter and thankyou for your help, here the  picture showing the pot inside where the spout is attached. Thank's

peterp

19th century, probably Guangxu reign.

Stan

Hi Peter, it looks printed to me, could it have been added at a later date.

peterp

Yes Stan, but only the upper part of the side, the floral decoration. The lower part and those along the base are too irregular. Actually, some transfer printings has been used at least since the early Qing dynasty, but usually only for parts of it.
Actually, even some simple items from the late Ming dynasty show partial transfer painting. I think we cannot just ignore that transfers were used for example for painting the contour or outlines of objects, which then were filled by hand, but those wares were mostly not high quality wares. Only better and more complete transfer prints made in China dates to the 20th century. It was just not earlier used or developed much because the did more hand-painting, and still do.

Would it be right to just ignore the rest of the age signs? Like the lower part and the rest of the decoration which does not look like transfer printing was used, in my view. The glaze problems inside, the single spout hole, the rim color, etc. look older. I would also like to clarify one thing, any age or usage signs in the glaze may disappear and a glaze look like new if it was fired again at a later time. The temperature required for firing and underglaze blue decoration again at a later time may be sufficient for that.
I shall be glad to see proof if it can be done.

Just as an example, one of the earliest (partial) decorations using transfer we probably all know is from the late Ming dynasty. See the flowers in the image below. It is just a matter of quality.

abderrahim

Thanks Peter again for the lesson.

Stan

Sorry Peter, I should have been more clear, that is what I was talking about, " the upper part of the side, the floral decoration, looks printed and I was asking if that part of the decoration could have been added at a later date? thanks for the good information on the ming, I had not idea that they transferred decorations back then.