identification Please???

Started by abderrahim, May 25, 2024, 22:50:14

Previous topic - Next topic

abderrahim

Please I need your help to identify the age of these  vases.Thankyou.

Stan

Late 20th century in my view. the colors and decoration are modern, the mark on the bottom is not centered, The decoration is printed and hand colored, it could even be Japanese, lets see what others say.

peterp

The apocryphal Qianlong mark is the only thing that would suggest Chinese, but the decoration itself looks all Japanese

Stan

Thanks Peter, for verifying it being Japanese, that was my take on it but I thought maybe it was Chinese made for the Japanese market.

peterp

Theoretically that is possible, but the Chinese would not place the mark in such a place. What I would do is a scratch test to see if the mark is over the glaze, and fired. If it is neither then someone could have applied it anytime after production.

abderrahim

Thank you Stan and Peter for your answers, fortunately I don't pay much, $25 with delivery.
I did the scratch test, it doesn't come off, it's still there.

abderrahim

Hi Peter if after the scratch test, it doesn't come off, The mark is still there, this means that it is made in China then exported to Japan.
Thank's

peterp

That is what 'you' think. To me it just increases the possibility that someone else stamped the mark after manufacturing, that is not the manufacturer. If it was fired underneath glaze it does not necessarily mean it is NOT Japanese. The Japanese added Chinese marks to Japanese porcelain too, at times. The position of the mark is too odd...

abderrahim

Thankyou Peter, It's true the position of the mark is too strange... also when I touch it by hand it is in relief, someone else stamped the mark after manufacturing.
Thank's