Juli Red Plate of Ming Dynasty

Started by john8888, May 03, 2024, 02:06:04

Previous topic - Next topic

john8888

[size=3][font=Arial]Diameter 28 cm high 4cm[/font][/size]

peterp

The rim shape of this plate does not look right for any period. The actual traditional rim shape of this type differs somewhat.

Please draw your conclusions of known facts.
1. A five clawed dragon was the prerogative of the imperial court
2. Imperial wares had worm back foot rims, meaning they were completely round, Those made by private kilns just shaved  off the edges of the rim.

The foot rim does not look rounded in these pictures, thus it cannot be imperial ware. 
The dragon feet have five claws, thus it must be imperial ware.

The above mean that it must be a modern fake.

john8888

I checked [color=#202124][size=3][font=Times New Roman]Palace Museum in Beijing and the National Palace Museum in Taipei, the plates of Ming dynasty is completely round, you are right. But except celadon plate (NPMT) that I attached for your review (your web does not allow me to post it)[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#202124][size=3][font=Times New Roman]I also checked [/font][/size][/color][color=#202124][size=3][font=Times New Roman]the British Museum, the David Wade Art, [/font][/size][/color][color=#202124][size=3][font=Times New Roman]Foundation at the University of London, 95 Hall. I found a plate with a plate with "10 edge rims" at a ceramic of Ming dynasty that I also attached for your review.[/font][/size][/color]